Saturday, July 8, 2017

My Fav Gluten Free, Vegan Pancake Recipes


When I think of pancakes I think of the words delicious, fun, filling and addicted. I'm one of those that can't go a week without having pancakes at least once, honestly I eat them so much. It's one of those meals that can be played around with so much, with the combinations and possibilities being endless. 


I like to not only experiment with my toppings but also with the way I make the pancakes, as on of my food goals is to find the perfect recipe for the perfect stack. So, one Sunday morning at the parents house I held a pancake morning and had them as my taste testers.


Recipe 1: Berry adaptation of Naturally Stephanie's pancake recipe

 1 1/4 cup oats (I used GF)
 1/2 tbsp. baking powder
 1 tsp vanilla extract
 1 1/4 cup plant based milk
 1/2 banana
Fresh Berries
Dark Choc Chips 
I blend up all the ingredients in a NutriBullet or any food processor and BOOM! It's as easy as that. 



The feedback from the fam for recipe number one was that the inside was a little too gooey compared to the outside where it was quite crispy. Now remember that these guys (apart from my sister) can eat normally, so they're used to the normal texture of pancakes. I enjoy this recipe as I find it easy to include protein powder without it throwing the recipe off. This recipe makes a light American style stack that actually isn't too heavy and stodgy. But a little advice, keep the hob low and cook slowly. If you whack the heat up on the hob and try to cook them too quickly, then the middle won't be done and it'll be a gooey inside.



Recipe 2: My adaptation of good old Jamie Olivers pancake recipe 

  • 3 ripe bananas (Mashed up)
  • 115 g plain flour (I used GF)
  • 1 heaped teaspoon baking powder 
  • 140 ml milk (I used almond)




I'm a sucker for anything peanut related, so already having a berry stack meant that I could bust out one of my favourite topping combos. Because I go through so much nut butter, I like to buy quite a few different ones and I'm so into using the powdered ones right now. They claim to have less fat but keeping that same taste and protein. Honestly, the taste isn't the same but it is definitely revolutionary as having a peanut butter sauce over your pancakes has changed my pancake life!



This stack is super high is protein and good fats with peanut butter, pumpkin seeds and crumbled Trek bar on top. Right now this is my go to on a Saturday as I weight train and love a good dense breakfast. It's a winner with the men too with my dad and the boyf loving this combo a lot. 

In terms of the pancake quality in comparison to the other, the fam preferred the overall texture to this. Probably as the recipe is the closest to a traditional pancake recipe (with just one substitute of the egg with banana). The outside of the pancake doesn't really go crispy and the texture throughout is pretty samey. 


Right, it's pancake time for me seen as it's Saturday morning. I'd love to know if you try these out, and whether or not you have a go to recipe that's different to my favs. 

Have a great weekend!

xoxo





No comments:

Post a Comment